Frequently Asked Questions
Please note that we do not provide the following services:
- Tax advice. While we take tax issues into consideration for portfolio construction and optimization, and offer tax harvesting tools, please contact your accountant for tax-related advice.
- Estate Planning. While we can help with the investment aspects of estate management, please contact your attorney for estate planning services.
- Real Estate transactions. We do not advise or execute individual real estate transactions. Please contact your licensed real estate agent.
- Brokerage Services. We are not a broker/dealer, but we work with several to execute transactions in your portfolio.
- Deposits, loans, credit cards. We do not have a banking license.
Please contact us if you have further questions.
- Individual or joint brokerage accounts
- UGMA/UGTA or Trust accounts
- Individual retirement accounts (IRA, Roth IRA, individual 401(k) or 403(b), SIMPLE IRA)
Please contact us for other types of accounts.
Please contact the Member Firm’s Compliance Department and if required, a compliance officer should fill out a Rule 407 letter and it should be submitted directly to your broker or to Passed Pawn Advisors by email at [email protected].
Please note that unlike brokerage accounts, advisor accounts typically do not have to be held only at the brokers pre-approved by the Member Firm.
Although we are not limited in the investment instruments we can choose for our clients in the Power plan, there are some that we believe provide our clients with the types of risk/reward characteristics and cost we can recommend. Then there are others that we feel do not fit this category.
Investments we may recommend
- Mutual funds without front load
- Equity and fixed-income ETFs
- Equity and fixed-income CEFs
- Custom equity portfolios1
- Alternative investments, including REITs, MLPs, BDCs
Investments we won’t recommend
- Front-load mutual funds
- “Penny” stocks or other illiquid instruments
- Leveraged ETFs
- Forwards and other OTC derivatives
- Art, wine, classic cars, coins, stamps or other collectibles
- Venture capital, angel investing, or private equity
- Any investment we did not research
- Our Investing News page provides curated Twitter news feeds for topics ranging from markets news, to specific investing topics, to emerging technologies (aka Passed Pawns!), to Personal Finance such as retirement, banking, and real estate
- Our Newspapers provides links to daily generated thematic investing papers. You can subscribe and get the papers you’re interested in delivered straight to your mailbox daily!
- Our Market Data page provides real-time market data including major indices, asset classes, ETFs, and a large number of stocks organized by sectors and sub-sectors
- More Investor Resources include videos of our recent investing webinars, which you can also follow on our YouTube channel, and links with more useful investing information
- Our LinkedIn page posts covers general investing news and information
- Our Facebook page provides multiple daily posts focusing on markets news, emerging technologies, and personal finance
- Our Twitter feed includes startup news and specific company news and analysis, in addition to what Facebook covers
- Our Pinterest account gives you the visual information across five boards: Investing News, Investor Education, Passed Pawns (Emerging Technologies), Startups and (Life of) Millennials
- Finally, our articles on Seeking Alpha provide in-depth analysis on various investing topics
More investor resources are in development including a comprehensive ETF Education Center. If you would like to see any other particular subject covered, please let us know.